Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Oh Camille, My Camille



I love reading Camille Paglia. I don’t agree with her opinions, but she can write and her opinions are so passionate, veering towards nutty, that I have to laugh. She has a column for Salon.com. She expounds on politics, pop culture, and current events. Basically anything she wants to. In fact it’s what I do with this blog, but she gets paid for it.

In her recent column, in reaction to the Virginia Tech shootings, she calls for more vocational training in high schools. I have no argument there; high schools need more money for everything. When I went to high school we had auto shop, wood shop, ceramics, art, other vocational classes. I assume they’ve been stripped away.

But what cracks me up is her prose. Here are some examples:

“…our present educational system is an insane pressure cooker, dangerous above all for boys, with their restless physical energy.”

“Age segregation by grade, in my opinion, is a mechanistic atrocity that spawns ruthless social cliques, who oppress and enrage the losers in the provincial pecking order.”

“We need to strip the elite aura from the claustrophobic "prestige" jobs in sterile corporate offices, where high salaries drug the worker clones from recognition of their own imprisonment and castration.”

Okay, I’m not quite sure if the educational system is the pressure cooker, perhaps the parents are the cause. Plus it is sexist to think that boys blow up with pressure with our physical energy. Granted more males kill than females, but I think mental instability is the source instead of gender. The VT Killer certainly didn’t care about grades; he was an English Major!

And I’m not sure age segregation causes ruthless social cliques, although I did love Heathers. But not as much as I love the term, “mechanistic atrocity.” Anymore high-falutin purple prose like that and Paglia will start resembling the crazy street people in my neighborhood.

Being that I work in a sterile corporate office, I have to say I recognize my own imprisonment and castration. But that’s probably because I have a very low salary.

I love you, Camille. I know you're gay, but you can whisper in my ear anytime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hack!