Monday, May 21, 2007

Slouching Towards Euphoria: Bay to Breakers


King Claudius: How is it that the clouds still hang on you?

Hamlet: Not so, my lord; I am too much in the sun.

I've ran the Bay to Breakers four times, and every time I tell myself I'm going to walk it and enjoy the party. So I did it this year. It was a glorious day and my pale Irish skin cooked in the sun. But it was worth it. Bay to Breakers is another great reason to live in San Francisco.

I thought about dressing up, but in the end I just wore jeans and a cool dragon shirt. My roommate and I met some friends and walked over to Hayes Hill. Although the race starts at eight in the morning, we didn't arrive until ten. The race was all walkers and partyers at that point. I saw the usual naked people and Elvises. So many Elvises. The guy has been dead for 30 years, and people are still dressing up like him. In our group, we had a Where Is Waldo?, runing of the bulls runner, and some girls wearing dirndls. The crowd was filled with pirates and catapillars and wacky seventies clothing and word puns like black-eye peas. Frat guys pushed kegs up the hill. Occasionally, they would pick up a girl and have her drink from the tap while hanging upside down.

On Divisidero, a house party was filled with Elvises who stood on the roof dancing. There were playing The Who's "Baba O'Riley" on the stereo. I thought everyone would shout out "They're all wasted!!" with the music, but only I did. I guess I'm old. I got separated from my group, and took a small nap in the grass. Very pleasant indeed. I then wandered to the polo fields and watched Cracker play. There are a wonderful, boozy bar band. David Lowery's scratchy voice sounded like an old friend to me, although it was strange seeing this band in the early morning.

I met up with the group at their place in the Lower Haight. I sat in the sun and gave my face a great red glow. I made it in to work today. Although I'm fried on the inside and outside, I regret nothing. Summer is here.

No comments: