Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Slouching Towards Euphoria: Lush Lounge


I tried to hit a bar new to me called Decco, but, alas, it was closed on Tuesday. Everyone needs a day off but Tuesday? Tuesday is the new Friday. Everyone knows that. So my intrepid and, with the exception of me, unemployed group trudged through the Tenderloin looking for a drinking establishment.

We ended up at the Lush Lounge off of Polk and Post. Actually it’s called the Lush Lounge Martini Piano Bar, although in my haze I don’t recall a piano in the place. I feel like I’m in the seventies time period because of all the ferns in the place. There is also a love for classic movies. Pictures of classy movie stars like Audrey Hepburn line the wall. When I was there, Chinatown played on the televisions.

I suppose this place is a gay bar, being that Polk was the major gay area before the rise of Castro Street, but every time I’ve been here, it’s mostly straight folks sipping cocktails and gazing into each other’s eyes. It’s a very romantic place. The lights are low, the music murmurs, and the drinks are sweet.

Normally, I’m not into sweet drinks. I used to be. I used to concoct sweet libations that tasted like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but not anymore. But that night I tried the mango mojito they had for five bucks. Such a deal! And they were tasty. The pretty blonde bartender worked her magic and made quite the tasty concoction. They also offer such sweet boozy treats as Raspberry Truffle and Dreamsicle. You can harvest quite the nasty hangover here if you wanted to.

Outside drug-ravaged locals would walk by and gaze into the bar. The occasional cop siren would blare. It’s a weird neighborhood. Even though the neighborhood is gentrifying, there are still many immigrants and homeless and Charles Bukowski types. Then, a couple of blocks up is Russian Hill, where its well-heeled population of white-collar types live and drink and eat. Even though Russian Hill is a slight incline from here, if the hill reflected social levels, then you be staring up a cliff wall outside of the Lush Lounge. But such is the city.

One of these days I should try a dry martini here. See how they do it. But I think the best use for Lush Lounge is an after-dinner desert drink. If a Lemon Drop doesn’t start the night right, than your night will not take flight.

No comments: