Thursday, June 7, 2007

Slouching Towards Euphoria: Harvey's


I've been avoiding writing about this Harvey's because it's my main watering hole. (In this neighborhood, I avoid calling it a watering hole; gays cannot pass up innuendo.) But they have just redone the place, and I got some space to fill (Jesus, more double entendres). This bar carries San Francisco history. The bar is named after assassinated city supervisor, Harvey Milk. Back when it was called The Elephant Walk, the San Francisco Police, in retaliation for the White Night Riots, came in here and destroyed the place along with cracking a few heads.

An excellent history of The Elephant Walk can be found here.

The bar is much more sedate these days. Most nights, it closes before midnight. But I like it for that very reason. Most bars around here are meat markets with loud dance music. When I want just want a quiet drink and talk to a friend, it's the place to do it. They also serve food, which is mostly hit and miss. Like The Edge, Twin Peaks, and Moby Dick, tall windows line the outside walls, so people are content to eat and drink and watch the people go by. The windows are symbolic too, letting people know there is nothing to hide inside. The new decor is slightly bland. Soon they will put up more art and a tribute to Milk, but for now it sort of resembles someone's rumpus room circa 1979.

The staff is really cool, laid back and very attentive—so attentive that I usually end up stumbling home. Which isn't too bad, but it is uphill. They are also patient with my sometimes elaborate drink requests. The choice of booze is limited. I wouldn't mind a passtisse or a good single malt scotch, but their shelving is limited. They have trivia nights and drag nights and lesbian nights. Soon they will have a D.J. booth. I'm not sure if that'll be to my liking, but the masses have got to boogie.

I guess what I like most about it is the local hangout feel it has. It feels like a gay Cheers. And after a couple of drinks, there is a definite laugh track.

No comments: